We can break down our 4 types of behaviors, and actions, into two categories – those we can see, and those we can hear.
We can further break down how we experience each of these categories as follows:
1. Physical Actions - What I Do
I see you are talking with someone
2. Non-Verbal Actions-How I Do It
Your body position is leaning forward, facing the person sitting across from you
3. Language - What I Say
I hear you say, ‘I’ll definitely call you tomorrow”
4. Vocal Delivery - How I Say It
I hear you emphasize the word ‘definitely’
Looking at behavior with this perspective allows us to move from thinking about ‘performance’, which is large and ambiguous, to instead thinking about a collection of very specific and tangible behaviors – which drastically simplifies our understanding of what to observe in evaluation of that performance.
This in turn equips you to have specific coaching conversations around effective behaviors to repeat, and less effective behaviors to change.
To evaluate a manager’s performance leading a team meeting, I would attend & observe:
- Non-verbal elements like body position, facial expression and hand-gestures – all of which supports his verbal message and adds additional clarification or emotion.
- Language choices to consider successful transference of the message he meant to convey.
- Vocal delivery like volume and annunciation which helps convey confidence and enthusiasm.
Dive deeper into the pivotal role the 4 types of behavior play in shaping call center dynamics. These curated resources offer targeted insights into leveraging visual and auditory cues for enhancing coaching efficacy, improving operational metrics, and fostering an environment of continuous improvement.
Call Center Coaching Effectiveness: 5 Steps to Maximize ROI
Refine your coaching strategies by understanding and applying the principles of behavior analysis. Discover how to harness observable actions and vocal nuances to boost your team leaders call center coaching effectiveness and confidence. Shorten the path to a higher ROI on your coaching investments.
Ultimate Coaching bundle
Each guide within this bundle addresses a specific aspect of coaching, equipping you with actionable strategies and insights to enhance your team's performance and effectiveness.
Here's what's included:
- Coaching Questions: Techniques for meaningful conversations.
- Commitments for Change: Strategies to inspire and sustain change.
- Coaching Top Performers: Tips for challenging and growing your best talent.
- Coaching Remote Workers: Best practices for supporting your remote team.
- 6-Step Performance Coaching Model: A step-by-step framework for impactful coaching.
- 4 Types of Behavior: Insights into behavior for personalized coaching.
- Conversation Structure: Building blocks for effective coaching dialogues.
- Coaching Effectiveness Assessment: Tools for measuring and improving coaching impact.